A new area code will be activated next year in central Florida counties Orange, Osceola, Seminole and parts of Lake and Volusia, all currently using area codes 407 and 321. The soon to enter service area code 689 was initially planned for activation in 2002, but its implementation was then postponed. 10 digit dialing has been mandatory in the area since the introduction of area code 321 back in 1999, so there will be no change in the way calls are being dialed.
The new NPA 689 will enter service on June 4, 2019.
See official Nanpa announcement and NPA maps (PDF document)
Towns and cities in the San Francisco Bay Area currently using area code 510 will be served by a new code: 341 is the new NPA announced by the California Public Utilities Commission in June. The two area codes will overlay or cover the same area. Some of the cities served by the new overlay complex: Alameda, Berkeley, El Cerrito, Oakland… 1+10 digit dialing becomes the new calling method starting June 22, 2019.
- December 15, 2018 – permissive 7/1+10 digit dialing begins (local calls within Numbering Plan Area 510 may be dialed using either 7 or 1+10 digits)
- June 22, 2019 – mandatory 1+10 digit dialing begins – all calls within NPA 510 must be dialed using 1+10 digits
- July 22, 2019 – area code 341 enters service
See official announcement and map of the new overlay complex 510/341 (PDF document)
A new area code will be activated in Ohio as the relief method for existing 937 NPA which serves the south western part of the state, the following towns and cities included: Dayton, Hillsboro, Marysville or Springfield. The new 326 area code was approved on May 23, 2018 by the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio and will serve the exact same geographic area covered today by area code 937. Local calls will be dialed using 10 or 11 digits when NPA 326 becomes active in 2020.
- August 10, 2019 – start of permissive 7/10/11 digit dialing (local calls between telephone numbers in NPA 937 may be dialed using 7, 10 or 1+10 digits, 10 digit dialing being encouraged)
- February 8, 2020 – start of mandatory 10 or 1+10 digit dialing
- March 8, 2020 – area code 326 enters service
See official NANPA planning letter and map of the new overlay complex 937/326 (PDF document)
British Columbia will have a new area code beginning May 4, 2019. The province is currently served by 4 area codes: 236, 250, 604 and 778. The new area code will cover the whole province of British Columbia and no changes are planned for how calls are dialed within the area.
See official NANPA announcement (PDF document)
The Caribbean island country of Jamaica uses the North American Numbering Plan and its area code within the NANP is 876. On September 15, 2016 a new area code was announced by Jamaica’s telecom regulator as a relief method for existing 876 area code. Starting next year in November the new 658 area code will also cover the entire island and, as a result 10 digit dialing will be used for all local calls.
- May 31, 2018 – start of permissive 7/10 digit dialing period (all telephone calls on the island may be dialed using either 7 or 10 digits)
- October 30, 2018 – 10 digit dialing becomes mandatory for all calls within Jamaica
- November 30, 2018 – new area code 658 enters service
See official NANPA planning letter (PDF document)
Approved by the California Public Utilities Commission on May 25, 2017 the 820 Numbering Plan Area Overlay will serve the same geographic area currently served by area code 805. Some of the cities covered by NPA 805: Camarillo, El Paso de Robles, Lompoc, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara etc. The new 820 area code will be activated on June 30, 2018, and consequently 1+10 digit dialing will become mandatory for all local and toll calls within the new 805/820 overlay area.
- December 1, 2017 – 1+10 digit dialing is encouraged for calls within the 805 NPA borders
- June 2, 2018 – 1+10 digit dialing becomes mandatory
- June 30, 2018 – new area code 820 enters service
See official NANPA announcement and map of the new overlay complex 805/820 (PDF document)
From 1958 to 1999 the southern part of New Jersey was served by area code 609. In 1999 the Numbering Plan Area 609 was split into two with the new area code 856 covering the south-western portion of NJ. Today, once again, a relief plan is needed for area code 609. The approved relief method is an overlay code which will serve the same south eastern NJ area currently covered by NPA 609. The new area code 640 will enter service next year in September. As a result of the newly created overlay complex 609/640, 10 digit dialing will be mandatory for all calls within its borders.
- January 20, 2018 – permissive 10 digit dialing begins (10 digit dialing is encouraged)
- August 18, 2018 – mandatory 10 digit dialing begins
- September 17, 2018 – area code 640 enters service
7 digit calls between 609 and 856 to be eliminated
Since the 1999 split of NPA 609 some calls between area codes 609 and 856 could be dialed using 7 digits. With the above changes these protected NXX codes will also be eliminated and regular 1+10 digit dialing will be required for all calls between the two NPAs.
See official NANPA announcement and map of the new overlay complex (PDF document)
California area codes 619 and 858 currently cover the southern and northern parts of San Diego respectively, including some of its suburbs. On April 17, 2017 the California Public Utilities Commission approved a boundary removal between the two Numbering Plan Areas. The decision will take the pressure off area code 619, which is approaching exhaustion. The resulting overlay complex 619/858 will cover the entire area currently served by the two area codes and will have as a side effect mandatory 1+10 digit dialing for all telephone calls within the area.
- November 11, 2017 – permissive 1+10 digit dialing begins (1+10 digit dialing is encouraged for all calls)
- May 19, 2018 – mandatory 1+10 digit dialing begins
- June 19, 2018 – the new overlay complex 619/858 enters service
See official announcement and other helpful info (PDF document)
Assigned back in February 2000 for toll free purposes, NANP code 833 will finally enter service on June 3, 2017.
See additional info:
Planning letter 506
FCC order/833 toll free code opening preparation procedures
The Eastern part of Quebec, Canada is currently served by area code overlay complex 418/581, including cities and towns such as Alma, Levis, Quebec City, Riviere-du-Loup, St. Georges. A new area code will overlay the two codes beginning November 24, 2018. 10 digit dialing is already used in this area so there will be no need for a transition period from 7 to 10 digit dialing.
New dialing rules
- 7 digit local dialing from NPA 506 in Campbell, NB to NPA 418/581 will be maintained
- 7 digit local dialing from NPA 709 in Labrador City – Wabush area to NPA 418/581 will be discontinued from as early as November 10, 2018
See official CNA/NANPA announcement for more information and a map of the new overlay area 418/581/367 (PDF document)