Central Illinois’ counties and cities currently using area code 217 will soon be served by a second area code. The new 447 area code, scheduled to enter service in 2021, will overlay NPA 217, covering the same geographic area. Some larger cities affected are: Champaign, Decatur or the state’s capital Springfield.
As a result, 10 digit dialing will be mandatory for all local calls within the newly created overlay complex 217/447, while toll calls will require 1+10 digit dialing.
- August 29, 2020 – permissive 7/10 digit dialing period begins (during this time local calls within Numbering Plan Area 217 may be dialed using both 7 and 10 digits)
- February 27, 2021 – mandatory 10 digit dialing begins (all calls within NPA 217 must be dialed using 10 digits: 217 xxx xxxx)
- March 27, 2021 – new area code 447 enters service
More info in the official announcement from NANPA (North American Numbering Plan Administrator) (PDF document)
Announced earlier this year and scheduled for activation on May 15, 2021, a new area code 368 will be added to an already crowded overlay complex currently serving the province of Alberta, Canada. There are 4 active area codes today in Alberta: 403, 780, 587 and 825, the latter 2 covering the entire province. Area codes 403 and 780 serve different parts (south/north) of the province’s territory, with Calgary using 403 and Edmonton 780.
The new code is also to cover the entire Albertan territory. No changes will be required in the way calls are made with the introduction of this new area code.
See official announcement (PDF document)
The central Canadian province of Saskatchewan will receive a new area code in 2021. The province currently uses area codes 306 and 639, both covering its entire territory. With more and more wireless devices activated each year, the need for a new code is once again being acknowledged by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) and, if everything goes as planned the new area code 474 will enter service on October 2, 2021.
There will be no change in how calls are dialed since the province already uses an overlay complex and 10 digit dialing for local calls has been mandatory since 2013.
See official announcement (PDF document)
Southern California Numbering Plan Area 909 will get an overlay code starting in February 2021. Area code 909 currently serves parts of San Bernardino, Los Angeles, Orange and Riverside counties. The new area code 840 was approved on June 13, 2019 by the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC).
There will be a transition period during which local and toll calls within existing NPA 909 will be dialed using both 7 or 1+10 digits, the latter dialing method being recommended. The purpose of this transition AKA permissive dialing period is to get residents of this area accustomed with 1+10 digits dialing which will become mandatory with the introduction of the new overlay area code.
- July 25, 2020 – permissive 1+10 digit dialing begins for telephone calls between numbers in area code 909
- January 23, 2021 – mandatory 1+10 digit dialing begins
- February 23, 2021 – new area code 840 enters service
See official NANPA announcement (PDF document)
From October 24, 2020 the province of Quebec will have a new area code serving the area around the city of Montreal currently covered by area codes 450 and 579. Some of the locations where the new 354 area code will be implemented are: Granby, Joliette, Laval-Est, Laval-Ouest, Longueuil, Pont-Viau, Sorel, Ste-Therese, St-Hyacinthe, St-Jean, St-Jerome, St-Lambert, Valleyfield.
The new 354 area code will overlay the existing 450/579 complex, covering the same geographic area. Already using 2 area codes, nothing changes in the way residents of these areas will dial calls with the implementation of the new NPA
Official NANPA planning letter
Implementation of area code 354 has been postponed indefinitely as of October 8, 2019. See official announcement.
The western portion of Alabama with cities and towns such as Alabaster, Birmingham, Hoover or Tuscaloosa and currently using NPA (Numbering Plan Area) 205 will have to use a second area code starting next year. The new 659 area code will overlay NPA 205 therefore covering the exact same geographic area. NPA 659 was approved all the way back in 2001, but its implementation was later postponed due to a reassessment of the actual need for a new code in the area.
- April 13, 2019 – beginning of permissive 7/10 digit dialing period: local calls in the area may be dialed using either 7 or 10 digits (205 xxx xxxx), the latter being encouraged
- October 12, 2019 – mandatory 10 digit dialing period begins
- November 12, 2019 – area code 659 enters service
See official NANPA announcement and Alabama area code map (PDF document)
The Canadian province of New Brunswick will use two area codes starting from November, 2020. Currently the province is served by NPA 506. The new area code 428 will also cover the entire province (the two area codes will overlay). As a result, 10 digit dialing will be used for all local calls within the area.
- August 13 to August 20, 2020 – permissive 7/10 digit dialing is introduced for local calls within NPA 506
- November 7 to November 14, 2020 – mandatory 10 digit dialing for local calls within NPA 506
- November 21, 2020 – the new area code 428 enters service
See official NANPA announcement and more information (PDF document)
A new implementation date for area code 428 was recently announced by the Canadian Numbering Administrator. The new postponed date is April 23, 2022.
See the updated planning letter for full details (PDF document)
Area code 803 in central South Carolina, serving cities such as Camden, Columbia, Orangeburg, will be overlaid by the new area code 839 from May 2020. The new code was approved on July 26, 2018 as the relief method for NPA 803 and will cover the same geographic area. All local calls will be dialed using 10 digits.
- October 26, 2019 – permissive 10 digit dialing begins (local calls between phone numbers in NPA 803 may be dialed using both 7 and 10 digits)
- April 25, 2020 – mandatory 10 digit dialing begins for local calls between area code 803 telephone numbers
- May 26, 2020 – new area code 839 enters service
See official NANPA announcement and area code map (PDF document)
A new area code will be activated next year in central Florida counties Orange, Osceola, Seminole and parts of Lake and Volusia, all currently using area codes 407 and 321. The soon to enter service area code 689 was initially planned for activation in 2002, but its implementation was then postponed. 10 digit dialing has been mandatory in the area since the introduction of area code 321 back in 1999, so there will be no change in the way calls are being dialed.
The new NPA 689 will enter service on June 4, 2019.
See official Nanpa announcement and NPA maps (PDF document)
Towns and cities in the San Francisco Bay Area currently using area code 510 will be served by a new code: 341 is the new NPA announced by the California Public Utilities Commission in June. The two area codes will overlay or cover the same area. Some of the cities served by the new overlay complex: Alameda, Berkeley, El Cerrito, Oakland… 1+10 digit dialing becomes the new calling method starting June 22, 2019.
- December 15, 2018 – permissive 7/1+10 digit dialing begins (local calls within Numbering Plan Area 510 may be dialed using either 7 or 1+10 digits)
- June 22, 2019 – mandatory 1+10 digit dialing begins – all calls within NPA 510 must be dialed using 1+10 digits
- July 22, 2019 – area code 341 enters service
See official announcement and map of the new overlay complex 510/341 (PDF document)