The Canadian province of Newfoundland and Labrador, currently using NPA 709 will have a new area code starting in November, 2018. The new area code 879 will overlay the existing NPA 709, covering communities such as Corner Brook, Gander, Grand Falls, Happy Valley – Goose Bay, Labrador City – Wabush, Marystown or St. John’s. All local calls originating within the new overlay will eventually be dialed using 10 digits (area code + local number).
- August 17, 2018 – permissive 7/10 digit dialing begins (some local calls within NPA 709 dialed using 7 digits will first be connected to an announcement notifying callers about the new 10 digit dialing requirement)
- November 10, 2018 – mandatory 10 digit dialing is introduced (again, depending on each carrier’s decision whether to play an announcement or not, some local calls within the area will be connected to a network announcement notifying callers that their call can not be completed as dialed and that they must hang up and dial the area code followed by the 7 digit local number
- November 24, 2018 – new area code 879 enters service
See official CNA/NANPA announcement and map of the new overlay complex (PDF document)
Area code 879 will no longer enter service on November 24, 2018. The new date will be announced when decided upon.
See official announcement (PDF document)
The new implementation dates for area code 879 are as follows:
- February 11, 2022 – permissive 7/10 digit dialing begins
- May 6, 2022 – mandatory 10 digit dialing begins
- May 20, 2022 – area code 879 enters service
See revised NANPA announcement (PDF document)
A new planning letter PL-557, dated January 20, 2021 announces the indefinite postponement of NPA 879 ‘s activation.
See planning letter 557 for more information (PDF document)